PROTECTING YOUR UX JOB
LIVE WORKSHOP with Joe Natoli on increasing your visibility, value + job security — and protecting your job from layoffs, recessions and corporate stupidity.
SATURDAY MARCH 25, 2023, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM EDT
Is it possible to future-proof your UX or Design job?
What about your career as a whole; can it be "future-proofed?" Is there a way to ensure you’re not included in the next round of layoffs?
I’m not going to lie to you here: there are no guarantees.
But there absolutely are a number of practical things you can do to make yourself as valuable as possible to as many people as possible — in as many departments as possible. So that when layoffs DO happen, you have a much better chance of keeping your job.
In this workshop, I’ll show you what's within your power to do, along with the concrete steps required to protect yourself from recessions, layoffs and the painful short-sighted stupidity that seems to be the hallmark of far too many companies.
In the eyes of the people you work for, you are what you do most.
And if what you do most is something they think anyone could do, you have a very big problem. Whether that perception is accurate or not.
I don’t need to tell you about the massive layoffs happening right now; I know you know — and I’ll bet many of you are living it right now.
And while the short-sightedness of these businesses makes me really angry, this isn’t new or surprising; UXers and Designers have always been first on the chopping block when companies decide to cut staff.
And I don’t think that reality is changing anytime soon.
So what can you do in the meantime to protect yourself and your career?
The good news: more than you think. What you can do — what IS within your power — is to be proactive and intentional about doing braggable work that lifts up other people in other roles across your company. Doing things that make you (and them) look like heroes.
So that when layoffs do come around, you have champions in different places in the organization. People in high places who, when that list of folks to let go hits their desk, say “OK — but not this person.”
You want as many people as possible in that organization to feel like they can't make a move without you. Can’t look like a hero to their bosses without you (repeating it because this one’s more important than you think). Can’t succeed without you.
That's all within your reach. And in this workshop, I'm going to show you how to get it.
Insight + exercises to light your way forward.
I'm going to show you what you can do — through both lecture and hands-on exercises. I’ll cover everything you need to know and do in order to build and strengthen your job security:
- Recognizing the ways you’re sabotaging yourself and damaging the perception of what you do.
- Steps you need to take to ensure you’re seen as an asset instead of a liability.
- Proving the work you do and the role you have isn’t an easily replaceable commodity.
- Understanding the business motivations and intent your work has to address in order for it to matter to anyone other than you and your product team.
- Getting other people and departments to stop seeing you as the "make it pretty” person.
- Demonstrating and communicating the business value of what you do — in a way that decision-makers actually give a shit about.
- Making sure the work you do serves as a walking advertisement for how critical you are to the organization’s success.
- Becoming proactive, intentional and branded in order to do more braggable work and clearly communicate why they can’t succeed without you.
FREE to UX 365 Members.
Just $97 for non-members.
If you're not a UX 365 member, you could have access to every course, training video, guidebook and e-book I've ever done for just a little more.
Including ALL of my Udemy courses.