BUILD A POWERFUL UX PORTFOLIO
Learn to build a competitive, effective, impactful UX portfolio recruiters, employers and clients truly want to see.
I’m going to let you in on a little secret.
There’s a damn good chance your portfolio — no matter how visually impressive or cleverly worded it may be — is working against you.
It’s the reason you’re not getting messages from recruiters.
It’s the reason those job applications or messages you’ve sent to recruiters seem to have disappeared into the void.
It’s the reason prospective clients suddenly go dark on you and stop responding to your calls and emails.
Here’s why I say that.
Awhile back, a client came to me asking if I could help them develop a recruiting plan and screen candidates for a new UX department in their company. Naturally, I said yes.
Working with external recruiters and the company’s HR department, we screened more than 250 UX- and UI-themed portfolios.
And I was completely shocked at what I saw:
- Every single portfolio I saw was unbelievably underwhelming.
- Every single one of them did a terribly poor job of communicating the person’s skill, aptitude, talent and experience.
- Every single one of them made the same critical mistakes.
At one point I even resorted to Googling “Best UX Portfolios” to find articles curating what I hoped would be the best of the best. Which, of course, I found, published by high-profile UX organizations.
But you know what?
The links in those articles only showed me more of the same.
I. Could. Not. BELIEVE It.
Houston, we have a problem.
This led me to believe that there had to be a fundamental problem in the way UXers, designers and developers are taught to put together portfolios. That the advice these folks are getting is inaccurate, uninformed or just non-existent.
In many ways, the formats and presentations I saw obscured the things that actually made some of these folks excellent candidates. Things we only discovered after hitting the wall and forcing ourselves to spend a lot of time we didn’t really have revisiting them in depth, digging deep into navigation and case studies. I got the distinct feeling that, were I to see Google Analytics on some of these portfolio sites, the page abandonment numbers would likely be very significant.
In any event, I felt like something needed to be done — specifically, this course.
A path to quickly illustrate these critical mistakes and show you a better, more effective way to structure and present your work and your value — to recruiters, hiring managers, employers and prospective clients.
I’m inviting you to forget whatever you’ve been told about how to create an online portfolio.
Because if it’s anything like the hundreds I saw, you’re not doing yourself any favors. So in this course, across 14 lectures, I’m going to give you everything you need to do it better, from the perspective of the person doing the hiring.
Whether that person is a recruiter, an HR or company exec, or a prospective client looking for freelance help, I’m going to walk you through what works and what doesn’t, with real-world examples.
Stop making it hard for recruiters (and employers) to hire you.
I’m going to show you why you’re making it harder for yourself to get noticed and get hired. Because even if your work itself is spectacular (which I’m sure it is), I have no doubt you’re making many of the same mistakes I’ve seen thus far in my own recruiting endeavors.
More importantly, I’ll show you exactly what you should be doing instead, from the very first screen. You’ll learn:
- Why (and how) your portfolio is sabotaging your job search
- The ONE thing every single portfolio gets WRONG
- What employers and clients really want from your portfolio
- The one thing you MUST speak to, visually and verbally
- Why impressive visuals WON’T get you the job
- How to position yourself as a strategic asset, not an order-taker
- The right (and wrong) way to present case studies
- The only 3 things any recruiter, employer or client cares about
- Using social media — and making sure it doesn’t hurt you
- A FREE, downloadable portfolio guidebook to walk you step-by-step through creating a winning portfolio
- A portfolio template that details the required content recruiters, employers and potential clients need to see.